“Jesus taught us to care for others: we offer a ministry of ‘quiet caring’ to all members of this congregation - - - and to others beyond it.”
- Supporting the Rector in her day-to-day ministering as a pastor, St John’s maintains a 14-member pastoral care team that offers a ministry of "quiet caring" to both members of our own congregation and many other people beyond our immediate fold.
- Our ministry to members of our parish includes home visits, telephone contact, and the mailing of cards to express prayerful concerns.
- Through a ministry of casserole preparation and delivery, we support those returning from hospital, recently bereaved or otherwise in need of practical help in addition to spiritual support.
- Pastoral Care also includes prayer – and this may on a case by case basis mean praying with, or for, the person being visited or cared about, as well as the private prayers of team members.
- The team participates in the Anglican Pastoral Visitors Program at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital, coordinating its efforts with other Anglican churches in West Ottawa. Weekly, our members visit any hospital patient who is identified as Anglican, ensuring such patients receive at least one pastoral visit during their stay at the hospital. Typically, this may mean seeing as many as 10 patients in one trip by one of our faithful volunteers.
- A Shawl Ministry has expanded to reach beyond our parish to persons elsewhere in Ottawa, across Canada and even abroad. Shawls knitted by congregation members in a special pattern are blessed upon completion and sent out to comfort both body and soul.
If you wish to contact the Pastoral Care Team,
please call or email the parish office: 613-592-4747 or firstname.lastname@example.org